Posts tagged race
Posts tagged race
- 70 Percent of Anti-LGBT Murder Victims Are People of Color
- While people of color make up about 30 percent of the United States’ population, they account for 60 percent of those imprisoned.
- Report: Immigration Status aRace Affect Domestic Workers’ Pay
- Once convicted, black offenders receive longer sentences compared to white offenders. The U.S. Sentencing Commission stated that in the federal system black offenders receive sentences that are 10 percent longer than white offenders for the same crimes.
- Marijuana Prohibition Turns 75, Blacks Three Times More Likely to be Arrested Than Whites
- According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime.
- A number of states have bans on people with certain convictions working in domestic health-service industries such as nursing, child care, and home health care—areas in which many poor women and women of color are disproportionately concentrated.
- African Americans were twice as likely to be arrested and almost four times as likely to experience the use of force during encounters with the police.
- The prison population grew by 700 percent from 1970 to 2005, a rate that is outpacing crime and population rates. The incarceration rates disproportionately impact men of color: 1 in every 15 African American men and 1 in every 36 Hispanic men are incarcerated in comparison to 1 in every 106 white men.
- [TW: Rape] Canadian police accused of abusing native women
- CNN breaks down the numbers: > Nearly nine out of 10 people “stopped and frisked” under a controversial New York Police Department policy in 2011 were African-American or Hispanic.
- The War on Drugs Is Really a War on Minorities
- Martin Luther King assassinated by US government: MLK civil trial decision
A very good definition of privilege.
Least encouraging news of the day.
There is no way he believes this?
Nobody could possibly believe this…?
Prove me wrong. Do it.
i was not created by a white man.
Unless you were conceived in a bathtub full of kool-aid or something, modern day conception procedures come from Europe.
This is probably the most racist comment I’ve seen in a very long time
Firstly, I’m with the person right above me. That’s an incredibly racist comment. I would say you should be ashamed, but I know you won’t listen.
Now on to proving you wrong.
- Chocolate chip cookies were invented by Ruth Wakefield (x).
- Liquid paper was invented by Bette Nesmith Graham (x).
- The square-bottomed paper bag was invented by Margaret Knight (x).
- The dishwasher was invented by Josephine Cochrane (x).
- The windshield wiper was invented by Mary Anderson (x).
- Kevlar was invented by Stephanie Kwolek (x).
- Potato chips were invented by George Crum (x).
- The carbon-filament lightbulb, which was actually more practical than Edison’s paper-filament bulb, was invented by Lewis Latimer (x).
- The blood bank was invented by Charles Richard Drew (x).
- The protective mailbox, the precursor to today’s public mail boxes, was invented by Philip B. Downing (x).
- The gas mask was invented by Garrett Morgan (x).
- The birth control pill was invented by Luis Miramontes and two other scientists (x).
- The magnetic compass, porcelain, gunpowder, the mechanical clock, and paper money were all invented by the Chinese (x).
- The condom, high heels, paper, and the pen were all invented by the Egyptians (x).
Oh, and re: “modern day conception procedures,” I believe the word you’re so clumsily dancing around is “sex.” (Don’t worry, typing it won’t hurt you.) I have to burst your bubble on that one, too. The first humanoid beings were Australopithecus, and they lived in Africa (x). (The map’s down a bit on the page.)
I think I’ve thoroughly proven you wrong enough by now. I’m going to get some sleep. Laterz.
YOU ARE MY HERO.^^^
LET ME BARE YOUR CHILDREN
BUT WAIT KIDS THERE MORE:
- The traffic light
- Peanut butter
- Open heart surgery
- Homo sapiens
- The light switch
- The real McCoy engine
- Spoken word poetry
- Rock n Roll
- Hell pretty much every genre of American music since we got to this bitch
And that’s just the top of my head. TAKE IT AWAY NEXT REBLOGGER:
Agriculture. Writing. The fucking wheel. Fucking civilization.
The domesticated chicken in the sandwich I’m eating. The tea I’m drinking.
The concept of “zero”, as in the OP is a total fucking zero.
Apples. Bred from a wild ancestor fruit in central Asia.
Bread. Also Egypt.
Beer and wine. Near East/Egyptian inventions.
Distilled alcohol. Arabs.
The triangular sail, which revolutionized navigation: also Arabs.
Beekeeping and therefore cultivated honey. Also Egypt.
Pet cats and dogs, meticulously domesticated in the Near East and Asia respectively. Also domestic cattle, Africa and South Asia.
Computer programming. Ada Lovelace.
Spread-spectrum and frequency-hopping communication technology, which is to say, the wifi my computer is using right now. Hedy Lamarr.
The novel. Japan! Unless you count Apuleius’ Metamorphoses/”The Golden Ass,” in which case, Africa.
Randomized controlled trial, completely essential to the basis of modern medicine: Ibn Sina.
Edible corn, potatoes, and nightshades, which form the bulk of at least most Americans’ diets: the brilliant breeding, cultivation, and agricultural experimentation practices of the Maya, Inca, and Aztec civilizations respectively.
Indoor plumbing. India.
The written word. Oh, that’s right: Phoenicia, Africa, and, independently, China and Mesoamerica. Yes, yes, we know: runes and ogham. Very impressive, Norse and Irish, nicely done, welcome to the show.
Oh, and the printed word. China again.
Really, astronomy, chemistry, geography, physics, optics, botany, and surgery as we know them.
Oh—and that bathtub you want to fill with Kool-Aid. Brown folks invented that, too.
Oh, hell, do some homework:
Go do some Googling like a grownup.
haha. white people have never invented anything, they steal everything they can from POC and take the credit
I don’t know if these were mentioned and I’m missing them, but the people of Mesopotamia (according to google where modern Iraq is) were the first known people to use irrigation.
Also Ancient China in addition to a shitton of the awesome things above invented noodles/pasta, for which I am eternally grateful as it is the basis for a lot of Italian cuisine, food of my culture.
China also had the first automated clocks, I don’t know if that was mentioned.
You can also just do your own research at websites like these: http://www.black-inventor.com/Lonnie-G-Johnson.asp
There’s also this really informative series of posts that have been going around tumblr: http://hamburgerjack.tumblr.com/post/43237040943/pipercarter-black-history-month-fact-15-711
There’s also chocolate, one of the most awesome foods ever, it’s initial form was invented by Mesoamericans and actually used in their rituals before white people came and appropriated that up as a fancy people drink.
So, basically OP, we as white people owe essentially all the awesome shit around us to people of color.
In other words, the folks above are correct. far as I can tell the only thing we’ve invented was stealing other people’s shit and taking credit for it while making out that the creator of said good shit should be thankful to us for inventing this cool thing. We’ve also been pretty great at perpetuating systems of oppression based on this model.
But let’s be honest, we probably didn’t even invent stealing shit and taking the credit.
So yeah, you’re probably a troll at least I hope you are because that was straight up absurdly wrong. But in case you aren’t, I just wanted to contribute some inventions I didn’t see mentioned.
Arabs invented coffee, the pinhole camera, cheques, fucking physics, man.
My forever favourite is soap. Your white ass did not know how to BATHE until we showed you soap. You sat in yr own filth and thought water would KILL YOU.
Post by Lisa Wade
“Companies that house prisoners for profit have a perverse incentive to increase the prison population by passing more laws, policing more heavily, sentencing more harshly, and denying parole. Likewise, there’s no motivation to rehabilitate prisoners; doing so is expensive, cuts into their profits, and decreases the likelihood that any individual will be back in the prison system. Accordingly, state prisons are much more likely than private prisons to offer programs that help prisoners: psychological interventions, drug and alcohol counseling, coursework towards high school or college diplomas, job training, etc.
What is good for private prisons, in other words, is what is bad for individuals, their families, their communities, and our country.”
Click through title to read the full article
I’ve seen the concept art, alright? She white, pretty, thin…like most female protagonists. Grow up, right? It’s a Disney Film, it’s not that big of a deal, right? So feeling left out when it comes to race representation isn’t that big of a deal? When things like The Avengers, Tangled and Harry Potter become so popular and all children see are White People Saving the World, how do you think that makes them feel? When people get angry that the character they thought was white end up being Black, how do you think Black Children feel? Left out? Alone? Worthless?
At 22, I still feel left out. Left out of the Hawkeye Initiative, where only white female characters seem to get “why they’re badass” posts, Left out of the Sherlock Fandom, where I’ve been called Donovan multiple times and treated like shit from Omegle rpers who go on my blog then find out I’m Black. Left out of social justice blogs because they don’t even have the balls to called me African American they chicken out by saying POC, the most pandering euphemism I’ve ever fucking seen. I’m left out of the Hobbit Fandom, the Doctor Who fandom - because no one likes Martha or Mickey for some reason, The Avenger Fandom because you get laughed at when you mention Fury - apparently he’s only good for a joke, The Supernatural Fandom - let’s face it the ratio sucks.
People have every right to be upset about Frozen because in general, race representation is shit. Seriously, think of a well known Black female character who wasn’t killed, unanimously hated or abused as fanservice. And if you say “well all women are used that way”, I will call your bullshit right fucking now because you know that’s not true. Let’s be honest, you all wouldn’t have loooooooved Jack Frost as well as you do now if he was Black. And a lot of you are going to get angry when you read this. Know why? Cause it’s true.
This is why people are angry:
- After Princess and the Frog, there’s been absolutely no race representation whatsoever.
- No. SIX characters out of OVER FIFTY YEARS of movies is NOT ENOUGH. So they did a few multiracial characters, it feels like they never did.
- “Disney said they’d do more”. They’ve been saying that since the 80s. Refer to the above reason.
- “Get over it” is only going to piss us off more.
- Throwing around the location as a valid reason for white washing is too.
- WE KNOW that most white-washing is completely unintentional. WE STILL HATE IT
And you know why we hate it? Because it hurts. Badly. We love video games, fantasy, disney, movies, and books just as much as you. Remember how angry you get when there are no decent female characters? THAT’S HOW WE AS RACIAL MINORITIES FEEL. ALL. THE. TIME. It’s like walking into your favorite library and everyone stops reading to judge you.
Sucks, doesn’t it?
But it’s our favorite place to be, and we’ll stick it out. We ignore your looks of faint surprise and weird questions of “how do you like this, people your color don’t like these things”. We’re treated like some rare jewel but the minute we speak up about unfairness we are ignored, told to be quiet or just plain laughed at.
There are guys who treat girls like they aren’t real nerds. What about the guys and girls who treat Black and other nerds like they aren’t real nerds? Hm? How comfortable do you think we feel when the most vicious hate is reserved for the dark-skinned characters? Yes, I’m looking at you Sherlock, Kingdom Hearts and Doctor Who Fandoms. And while I’m at it, what about Gizoogle? Cause that’s not demeaning in the slightest. Was the dripping sarcasm clear enough for you? So to all of you wondering why everyone is so angry about Frozen, I ask you this:
Why is it so bad for someone to feel upset when they feel left out even when they’re surrounded by the things they love?
And you know why we hate it? Because it hurts. Badly. We love video games, fantasy, disney, movies, and books just as much as you.
we love it as much as you do
I just want to say that this is why minority representation in the media matters. Mae Jemison was inspired to become an astronaut after watching Nichelle Nichols as Uhura on Star Trek.
Media is NEVER “just” media.
- Frederick C. Harris, The Price of a Black President
This has always been a pet peeve of mine when people declare that racism no longer exists. When you bring up folks like Obama, Oprah, Condoleezza Rice - you’re still bringing them up as exceptional. A few folks who beat the odds does not erase how disproportionately hard it is for folks who look like them to be even as half as successful as they are.